Monday, April 14, 2014

The Return of Holmes

After a "Great Hiatus" I'm returning in a similar fashion to the brilliant Sherlock Holmes! Only I didn't fake my death after taking out the biggest criminal in London. I just spaced blogging because my little brother came to visit me here at Manchester for the weekend. Oh, and then the season four premiere of Game of Thrones was on Sunday, so I had a pretty distracted weekend.

This past week I've been busy with new papers and research and such. But this past week I also read of the glorious return of Sherlock Holmes (after spending about two weeks reading Dracula) in "The Empty House." It's really hard to not compare reading Conan Doyle's stories to what happened in season three of BBC's Sherlock, especially since I watched Sherlock before I read anything of Conan Doyle's. 

After the drama and brilliance of Sherlock's return in "The Empty Hearse" (can I just point out how clever they are to rework the titles?) I was pretty disappointed about how nonchalant Sherlock was when he revealed himself to John in "The Empty House." I mean he was in a very clever disguise, but he basically just walked in and told John how he fooled him. With "The Empty Hearse" on the other hand, you're never quite sure how Sherlock deceived everyone. Even when he tells Anderson how he supposedly got away with it, you're still not sure if he was just playing.

After at least three weeks without Sherlock in my life, I've been thrown in full swing. I've read"The Blue Carbuncle," "The Six Napoleons," "The Solitary Cyclist," "The Man with the Twisted Lip," "The Dancing Men," and "The Musgrave Ritual" in the span of two days. With all this exposure to Sherlock's methods in these stories and with The Hound of the Baskervilles coming up this week, I have a pretty big question in my mind: how on earth do I still not catch all these details that Sherlock does?!

(An even more important question might be: when is season four coming out??)

No comments :

Post a Comment