Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Schedules and Hounds

Do you know how difficult it is to stay on a schedule when you're really not thinking about the schedule you set up for yourself? That's how I really feel about blogging sometimes. I don't remember until a couple days later that I totally missed a day, which makes me think I should switch some things around. Or maybe not. I don't know. It's like keeping on a reading schedule for class.

There are some days I'm reading that I get really into a book and read past what I'm supposed to, which creates the problem of knowing what's coming when everyone else in the class doesn't. Then there's the days, like this past Monday, where I just can't get into the book I'm reading (currently The Hounds of the Baskervilles. I know, I know. That's Doyle's best Sherlock novel, but still). I just can't get into that book and I don't quite hit the reading mark and then everyone else knows what's going on and I don't. Everyone has those days, right?

Really, to me, The Hounds of the Baskervilles is disappointing. I'm seven chapters in and I feel like nothing is happening. Some guy is getting his shoes stolen one at a time, and another guy is pretending to be Sherlock Holmes to throw the real Sherlock off the trail. That is honestly the only interesting thing that has happened so far, I think. Well, besides this creepy supernatural dog that just happens to be running around killing people. Oh, and the place in the moor that's sucking ponies up. That's pretty crazy. 

I was told by a couple other people that it gets a lot better. I really should trust them since it's their second time reading the novel, but still. I just don't get where this is going. I know it's bad to compare a book to a tv show, especially the BBC production Sherlock because it's so modernized, but it's hard not to. "The Hounds of Baskerville" is intense! Right away there's a great mystery that seems like Sherlock is finally going to have to face the supernatural. Somehow I don't see that happening at the end of the novel. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

2 comments :

  1. So did you finish reading it? Were you thumbs up or thumbs down? I think it's hard to read a book after watching the movie. That's why if a movie comes out based on a book I always try to read the book first but it's getting harder and harder to do anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, I didn't finish reading it. It's the very first book on my summer reading list though!

    I know exactly what you mean about watching a movie before reading the book. I'm planning on reading The Fault in Our Stars before I watch the movie this summer because I've heard so many good things about the book, I don't want to ruin it!

    ReplyDelete